Recipes That Made the Cut

These are recipes that we have tried and think they are worth the effort required. I will post where I found the recipe whenever possible.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Eunice's Sugar Cookies

This recipe is from the cookbook Lara and I made from my Grandma's recipe file. A classic sugar cookie - simple and delicious.

1/2 c margarine
1/2 c butter (i used 1 c butter and it was fine)
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla (I just realized this could read 1 T - take your pick!)

"sift" dry ingredients (I have never done this)
2 c flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (or 1 tsp. baking powder)

The instructions on the recipe card said:
"Form into balls and flatten out with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar."

For those of you who like a little bit more detail (like the temperature and time to cook!) we have figured out the following:
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 - 12 minutes (10 will be chewy, with light brown edges - 12 and more will be crispier).
Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla.
Put all dry ingredients in a bowl. Sift if you are so inclined. I use a fork to just work through the mixture.
Slowly mix in the dry to the wet.
Put in the refrigerator for about an hour.

NOW, you can form into balls and flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar. If you like, I also sprinkle in cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment